New Heights at the Hippodrome

Yesterday, I went to the Hippodrome Theatre with my family to see In the Heights.

In the Heights tells the universal story of a vibrant community in Manhattan's Washington Heights – a place where the coffee from the corner bodega is light and sweet, the windows are always open, and the breeze carries the rhythm of three generations of music. It's a community on the brink of change, full of hopes, dreams and pressures, where the biggest struggles can be deciding which traditions you take with you, and which ones you leave behind.

The show was phenomenal! First off, I consider myself a Musical aficionado. I was exposed to Broadway at an early age and have been a die-hard fan ever since. The elaborate sets/costumes/dances, passionate belting out of one’s inner most fears and desires... What's not to love??? I crank Musicals in the hood (probably one of the reasons no one messes with me).

Though a majority of the humor and storytelling revolved around Latin themes and inside jokes, I think everyone can relate to feelings of wanting to make “something” of yourself and wanting to make your family/community proud. I connected on that level, but on so many others... The set design brought back many nostalgic memories of Brooklyn (where I spent most of my early childhood). The music was very much modern-day Salsa/Hip Hop influenced, which I love to dance to. Also, the interaction of the characters felt like home... Odd sayings I’ve only heard from my grandmother mouths, loving low-blows I only hear around the family “table” (we are rarely all seated).

I highly recommend it. Photobucket

Only thing... I was hoping for more Latino’s in the crowd. We did go at 1pm on a Sunday, which could’ve been the reason. Lot’s of senior citizens, some of whom didn’t appreciate our riotous laughter. REALLY?  
You’re going to see a show about colorful/boisterous Latin folk and your going to give the Latin folk the stank eye for laughing at themselves. Silly. The only Latin folk we did run into-we knew, backing up my “I know all the Latino’s in a 30mile radius” theory.

Photobucket

No comments: