Humility... it's what's for dinner.

Photobucket
I just finished my book club book for tonight. It's called The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It's written all through correspondence and about the German occupation of one of the English Channel Islands and how a group coped by forming a literary society, almost out of necessity.

Recently, I've been very frustrated with the inability of close "friends" to humble themselves. Mainly–Not being able to say sorry when sorry is due. Is your pride really worth the loss of a long/honest friendship? I most certainly know–mine is not. I will humble myself even when I know for a fact I was wronged. If you are too proud to put yourself out there, well then I will be humble enough for the both of us. Why not? What do I have to lose (my pride, my dignity)? It takes way more courage to say sorry or to extend the olive branch, than to stick to your "guns". What are you standing by anyway? Unless I smacked your mother, what could be worth cutting ties with someone you truly care for. True friends are so few. At this stage in my life I will do absolutely anything and everything to keep them close–even forgo stubborn pride. If nothing else... I will sleep better.

Wrapping up my book today, it finally dawned on the main character to "make a move". To stop ignoring the obvious and put herself "out there" without fear of rejection or hurt pride. The last page she writes, "This obsession with dignity can ruin your life if you let it." That line couldn't have come at a better time.

No comments: